Sunday, December 11, 2011

New Tricks

New Tricks

A while back before the new expansion I saw a badger sitting in a low sec system at the high sec gate. He was just sitting there 15km every time I jumped into the low sec system. Sometimes I would see his pod there in the same place and then when I would come back the next day, there was the badger again. I thought, wow, what a great idea. I am doing this baiting thing the hard way. Instead of jumping around to different low sec systems hoping that I land in a gate camp, I'll just go AFK and do something else while I bait. Sure enough the other day I was sitting in a low sec system with both my toons in t1 indys and I got four suckers who just couldn't resist the temptation of an easy kill or two.

It used to be that I would wait a week or two to schedule payback to my kill rights victims but these days I'm a little more cautious as I've had many targets slip through my fingers either by going into a WH, null or just so damn far to another region I didn't even want to deal with them. These days if I run a locator and see that the target is close I will scout them out, hope they are in an expensive ship and then go for it. It so happened that today was a good example of why sometimes it is not good to wait.

The previous day idun isafar, whatever kind of name that is, Swedish I think, pops my poor defenseless indy with his Harby. Wow, what did I do to deserve that? Anyway, log in the next day and see him online, run locator and only 3 jumps from my home system..sweet! I notice from the locator mail that he is not docked up so there is a good chance he is missioning. I jump into my torp shitter phoon and bring my RR domi in tow and head to the system. I had no idea what he was in but I figure its always better to over compensate. Once I jumped into the system I see him there in local  so I know the stupid “People and Places” module is functioning okay. You know, a GM told me that I should not use the People and Places as an “Information Gathering” tool because there can be a delay of up to 3 hours before it updates. Okay, enough complaining, it seems to be working better now so I can move on.

So once I'm in system with isafar I jump into my covops on both toons and he's not in any of the stations or in any of the belts. I put one toon at the low sec gate and one toon at the outgoing high sec gate and about 5 minutes later he leaves system. If the People and Places is working he didn't log off. I jump my alt into the only other system where where he could have went to and confirmed he was there. I then jumped back into the phoon and warped to the gate to wait. I jumped my alt back into the other system to get my RR just in case and then warped back to the system to wait to see what he had.

As my RR is sitting at the gate waiting I'm running the d-scan to try and figure out what he is flying. He belongs to this corp called Goblins something and I see a Navy Mega named Goblin and thought that this had to be him. I've taken on a Navy Mega before but with a Tempest and reps. After a couple of minutes I see my target warp to gate in an Abaddon. I was pretty confident that my phoon could take him especially if he was mission fit.

After he jumped into my waiting trap he didn't decloak until it expired on its own. It was a small gate so I had no trouble at all with my long point to stop him from going anywhere at 14km. The most he could do was try to slow boat it back to the gate and not agress me so I immediately hit my AB, torps, guns and launched Ogres. When I was in range I hit him with my web and bumped him so he couldn't escape. The event went on for 4 minutes and he was active tanked with dual reps so it was just a matter of time of me chipping away at his armor. I proceeded to continue bumping him until he was in structure and the whole time he never shot back. I didn't require my RR this time but it's always good to have just in case. 




No comments:

Post a Comment